What if more of our work and creative activities aligned us with our best possible future? We don’t have to complicate it — look for these 7 simple signs.
Everyone has an innate drive to live their best life. A big part of this adventure we call life is the work we do and our creative activities outside work — side projects, passion pursuits, causes, and interests.
We can make this quest too difficult. But I believe several simple signs can show us the way.
First, let me highlight key areas of our lives beyond work and other activities that shape our quality of life.
These include health and wellness, financial planning, vibrant relationships and spirituality. We’ll want to focus on these as well to experience our best life.
But let’s talk about our work and activities …
What Types of Work and Activities Point to Your Best Possible Future?
With a little life experience, we can discover the work and activities which energize us the most. In these pursuits we potentially sense the greatest fulfillment and have the most influence.
Consider this graphic I put together.
The golden arrow is an avenue—our quest to move towards our best possible future.
The thin line is our exploring and experiencing different things. We bank these experiences.
As we intersect with our best pathway, we enjoy our highest vitality and a sense of meaning.
These experiences and indicators speak to us. This is the golden pathway we’re seeking. The heightened energies we experience are bright markers, pointing the way to a unique, preferred future.
The question is: will we tune in to the indicators?
7 Signs You’re Coming to Life!
As you intersect with your best pathway, expect the following signals. They will empower you to get clear on the work and activities which move the needle as you go for your best life.
- YOU COME ALIVE! When you are doing the things designed for you, you will experience your highest levels of energy. You will sense it. Others will sense your higher vitality too.
- YOU’LL SMILE ON THE INSIDE. And probably the outside too. Even more, you may feel that Someone above you is smiling. We’re beautiful when we smile.
- DESIRE REALIZED IS A “TREE OF LIFE.” You begin to sense that your desires will be fulfilled. The Scriptures encourage us … “Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life” (Prov 13:12 NLT).
- GIVE YOURSELF PERMISSION TO BE HAPPY. We’re meant to live with a deep-seated gladness. As you discover what’s on your finest pathway, the satisfaction will deepen. There’s no virtue in being sad. Or depressed. We even have a moral obligation to choose happiness — see video below on this.
- WHAT GIVES RISE TO PASSION? Resolve to not leave passion on the table. Get articulate about your passions. Your passion level will elevate on your best pathway moving forward.
- AFFIRMATION FROM OTHERS. You will get feedback that the arrows are pointing in the right direction. People who care about you and have your best interests at heart will see it all over you. They enjoy the higher energy (increased voltage and vitality!) you are radiating. They benefit because you are living from a place of giftedness.
- CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ALIGN. As you advance with more accuracy on your best pathway, circumstances will align with your design. They’ll support you more and more. Good things start happening. You will feel like things are beginning to cheer you on. It’s something of a mystery!
Your best pathway will reward you for discovering it. And for staying on it.
Clarity Comes to Those Who Want It
As we’re mindful and reflect, time and experience will bring clarity to our life journey.
On the negative side, pain and chronic frustration speak to us too. This is a gift. It’s said that pain is a catalyst for adult learning readiness.
Learn to discern. Pay attention to your heart. Reflect. Ask for wisdom from beyond yourself. “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him” (James 1:5 ESV).
We crave new horizons as we progress in life.
Innovate and try new things. This may awaken passions and aspirations which want to emerge.
Commit to advance in life and work with renewed confidence.
And imagine how our best lives, taken together, will contribute to our shared experience in communities and society.
How does this make you feel? What are you sensing right now?