We do well to appreciate the transforming power of ideas. They are king. If you think big ideas don’t reach into your life, well … you’re mistaken.
Ideas are seeds. They germinate. Grow up. And take over. This episode includes 5 tips to become proactive about ideas in your life.
[Scroll for a player with other episodes on worldview, resources, scripture, and a prayer and affirmation.]
Jesus Smart: The Podcast
Available on Spotify, Apple, Podbean and more. Subscribe on your favorite listening option to stay connected with new episodes.
Your rating and review help more people discover the podcast. Thanks!
Get the Jesus Smart eLetter to keep current with podcast episode releases, updates, and insights.
Go Further — Transforming Power of Ideas
Have you ever thought of prayer being legal in nature? Well, can I suggest there is someone who does not want us
Listen to other episodes on the topic of worldview:
Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back.John Maynard Keyenes
Become proactive about ideas. Here are 5 quick tips to get started:
- Read. More than you think you need to. Read outside of your normal interests as well. Quality reading deepens and makes you bigger in many ways.
- Become more proactive in cultivating your thought life inputs. Minimize passive activity like television, social media and movies. Maximize proactive activity like reading, quality conversation, informal and formal learning, etc.
- Journal. Write down what you’re thinking. Record new ways of seeing and understanding, with the hope of pursuing these areas further. Writing will actually bring clarity to your ideas.
- From the understanding of a Christ-worldview, major on Scripture-intake. Read for breadth and depth. Study. Memorize and meditate. Try it and see if it doesn’t generate creative and elevating ideas to fuel your living.
- Seek to understand more of the history of big ideas. Just a survey will do. Read a quality book about it or some articles.
Transforming power of ideas — scripture for meditation, prayer, and proclamation
And one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him: “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And He said to him, “‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ Matthew 22:35-39 NASB
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and [e]acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2 NASB
We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. 2 Corinthians 10:5 NASB
And to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:23-24 ESV
Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, set your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 1:13 NASB
Prayer and affirmation
Father God, your Word says, “My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways … For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.” But I give thanks because you freely give us your thoughts as the snow and the rain come down from heaven! Open my mind to understand by your Spirit. I receive more of your ways of thinking. I’m grateful. Amen. (see Isaiah 55)
Q: In what ways can I engage the world of ideas right now? How can I be more of an influence?