We have too much of a “follow culture” in too much of the Contemporary Church World. A hyped emphasis on sheep-identity shrouds much of our identity in Christ.
Stream episode #95:
Advance to an ambassador mentality. A warrior status. Mark yourself as a Killer Sheep — bad to the bone!
Listen via: Apple Podcasts | Google Play | iHeart Radio | Stitcher | Podbean | TuneIn | Overcast | YouTube | RSS | Also on Spotify, Player FM, and Pocket Casts
CLICK >> jesussmart.com/godspeed to see a complete list of GODSPEED
Your rating, review, and subscription is the best way you can help this podcast — whatever your favorite listening option is. Thanks!
? If you listen on Apple Podcasts, kindly leave a rating, a review and subscribe!
Continues below …
What if we could reclaim Designer Sex — God’s design for our sexuality — and really experience what sex is meant to be? You may be interested in listening to Designer Sex — Dr. Juli Slattery (Pod #88).
No one elevates women like King Jesus! You may be interested in listening to No One Elevates Women Like King Jesus — Mary DeMuth (Pod #89).
Go Deeper — Don’t Be a Sheep. Be a Killer Sheep!
Here’s some of what Jesus said about the Shepherd and the sheep in John 10:
Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep … I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep … My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me … the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
Of course, we are the sheep of the Lord. But if we overemphasize our sheep-identity, it can eclipse our identity as “Kingdom Agents.” We should pursue a full spectrum understanding of our identity in Christ.
Consider with me:
- David in the Old Testament was a clear type of Christ. He was mighty in battle. The Scriptures say that the men who attached themselves to David became mighty as well (2 Samuel 23:8–38).
- We are to put on the full armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18, Isaiah 11:5, 59:17) for spiritual warfare. Think about it. It’s actually the armor of God.
- We are ambassadors of Christ (Paul in 2 Corinthians 5:20)
- There’s too much of a follow culture in too many communities of faith. This can foster dependency instead of empowerment.
- There’s a clear difference between Platform and Priesthood. Followers of Christ are a royal priesthood. This is both the kingly and priestly anointing of Christ. It’s a commissioning. See Exodus 19:4-6 and 1 Peter 2:4-10.
Continues below …
Related: We’re Born Again for Something Now — Not Just to Go to Heaven Someday (Jesus Smart)
Veni, vidi, vici is a Latin phrase meaning “I came, I saw, I conquered.” It was first said by Julius Caesar after winning a battle in Asia Minor in a letter to the Roman Senate.
Much of the experience in today’s Church World is “I came, I saw, I sat.” It’s platform-oriented instead of equipping the royal priesthood of Christ.
Some say that the Protestant Reformation is unfinished business. We restored the doctrine of the priesthood of all believers. We intellectually assent to the doctrine. But we’ve yet to see the complete outworking of this vital truth on a broad scale in the Church.
Recall that God did not want Israel to have a king (Saul). He preferred a more direct connection and empowering of his people.
Seek to become equipped and trained (Ephesians 4:11-16) to do the works you’re prepared to do — ” For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10).
Locate yourself in a relational Body of Christ context which is empowering. Level up. Get coached up in Christ.
A few more thoughts …
- Forget about Churchianity stereotypes. You’re recreated in Christ for more than that.
- Be a little Kingdom weird and peculiar — who God designed you to be. Relate to others but don’t get pressed into a religious or Churchianity mold.
- Don’t be docile, compliant, and easily influenced … mindlessly following the herd.
- Test things. You have the mind of Christ. Learn to appraise. Be an Anointed Thinker.
Jesus Smart: The Podcast
We’re resolved that Jesus Christ is the most brilliant person to walk the planet — He knows how life works best. The future not only belongs to him,